TRG's Gaughan and Lally Second at Montreal
Page: 1  2  Links
Montreal, Canada, (August 29, 2009) - TRG's Brendan Gaughan and Andy Lally finished second in yesterday's running of the Grand-Am Rolex Series race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada. Teammates John Potter and Craig Stanton finished the day ninth.

The weather played havoc with the competition at Montreal's 2.7-mile, 15-turn Gilles Villeneuve island circuit. The on-again-off-again rain had many teams performing as many as six pit stops during the two-hour event trying to keep ahead of the weather.

Gaughan, NASCAR Nationwide Series driver, started the No. 66 South Point Casino/AXA/TRG Porsche in treacherous conditions and managed to put in an excellent stint on slicks. The Las Vegas resident then turned it over to sports car ace Andy Lally who managed to lead several laps during his time at the wheel. A daring call by team owner Kevin Buckler to stay out on slicks during the last rain period had Lally bring the TRG Porsche home in second.

"I wanted to keep the transmission in it and keep it on the track," Gaughan said. "I accomplished all of my goals this weekend with the TRG Porsche. I wanted to run clean, learn and get maximum laps to prepare for the Nationwide race. Getting on the podium and finishing second is a huge bonus. Andy did a great job that last hour in the rain on slicks. It was unbelievable doing the wet-to-dry thing, but Andy and Kevin kept talking to me and keeping me cool. I did what I wanted to do, and then handed it over to Andy."

"We had a great event," Lally said. "We had a great race. At the end of the day the TRG Porsche was super solid and fast. It is not often that we choose to stay out on slicks in the wet, but we did and it worked out at the end. Kevin made some great calls and we brought it home on the podium. Brendan did a great job with such little time in the car. He was consistent and got faster every session. I hope to see him back in a TRG car soon."

John Potter and Craig Stanton soldiered through the changing conditions to finish the race in ninth. The team had the No. 65 Magnus Racing/TRG Porsche GT3 on point all day.

"It was a crazy race," Stanton said. "John did a great job in the opening stint, we sent him out on slicks and he kept it on the track. When I got in it started to rain, dried and then rained again. We were in and out of the pits. John (Bedell, crew chief) and the guys did almost as many pits stops in two-hours as we did at the six-hours of The Glen. It was a good day, we came away with a car in one piece and we are looking forward to Miller Motorsports Park, John's home track."
  Next Page >>