Stevenson Motorsports Miller Race Report
Page: 1  2   3  Links
With a lap and a half remaining in the 2 hour 45 minute race at Miller Motorsports Park in Toole, UT, the GT class leading No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports / BryanMark Financial Pontiac GXP.R was broadsided by Dirk Werner driving a Farnbacher-Loles Porsche. In an aggressive move that would have been seen as simple hard racing in an earlier season contest, the Porsche collided with the Pontiac resulting in tire blowouts on both cars. Instead of a 1-2 finish for the pair, they both fell to the sidelines as the rest of the field passed them by. In the end, the Porsche finished in sixth place and the Pontiac in seventh.

In the laps leading up to the collision, Robin Liddell, Werner, and Andy Lally, had been running almost as if connected together through every corner before Liddell finally found a way to get past Lally to take the lead. Liddell: "I did everything I could to keep it clean. I was very conscious of not touching Lally when we were battling. I knew I was faster then he was, but I wanted to make sure I made a clean pass - I didn't want a penalty for contact."

Soon thereafter Werner too was able to pass Lally and in short order he and Liddell were making it a two car run to the end. The action on the track was electric as the two cars battled through every corner running over curbs and at times, side by side, with neither willing to back down in the slightest.

Liddell was somewhat hampered as he was battling severe tire wear in the closing laps and it was only his sheer talent and determination that allowed him to stay ahead of Werner. For the Stevenson Pontiac, the road to their fourth win of the 2009 Grand-Am Rolex Series Presented by Crown Royal No. 16 season seemed to be open to them, if Liddell could just hang on.

Liddell: "I didn't expect (Werner) to be so aggressive, knowing that he was in a position in which he could clinch the title, but he kept pushing. At one point, I couldn't see him behind me, so I knew he was coming up beside me. I instinctively knew he was coming up on my right side, so I tried to give him enough room so we wouldn't touch, but all of a sudden I got hit real hard.

"We'd worked very hard to come back through the field so I was not about to give the position up easily but I guess he wanted to finish on a high so he made a move."

The resulting collision deflated not only the tires on both cars, effectively ending the race for both drivers and teams, it shredded the Stevenson team's last championship hopes as well.
  Next Page >>